Skip the primary navigation if you do not want to read it as the next section.
Skip the main content if you do not want to read it as the next section.
Respite care: what we offer
Epilepsy Society offers families and carers the opportunity to have a break in the knowledge that their relative will receive expert care from a team of professionals as well as the opportunity to meet other people with epilepsy and enjoy new surroundings. Our respite care includes:
- individualised, flexible respite packages
- a mutually agreed personal care plan for the duration of the stay
- a choice of setting to meet differing levels of need, from the most highly dependent clients with extensive medical and care needs to those who simply need a few days' break in a supportive environment
- respite in a residential care home or in a home that also provides nursing care
- fully trained staff with knowledge and experience of caring for people with epilepsy and/or learning disability, physical disability and challenging behaviour
- 24 hour nursing and medical support
- access to a range of therapeutic activities (eg art and music) and social activities, as appropriate to the client's needs and abilities
- varying lengths of stay
How to access our respite care services
- Complete our online contact form or telephone 01494 601 374 and we will ask you for some basic contact details along with information regarding the situation of the person who requires respite care.
- We will send you an information pack and, if appropriate, arrange a visit. At this stage it is important that a care manager is involved as funding for respite care will most likely be the responsibility of the individual's local authority.
- The home manager will discuss the individual needs of the client and agree the personal care plan for their stay.
- Wherever possible, we aim to plan respite stays in advance for the coming year to guarantee availability as there is always huge demand for this service. However, we will do our best to accommodate all requests.