helpline 01494 601 400
11/02/2016

Former WWE World Heavyweight champion retires due to brain damage and seizures

Former WWE World Heavyweight Champion Daniel Bryan says seizures caused by multiple concussions forced him into retirement at the age of 34.
 

Bryan, real name Bryan Danielson, left professional wrestling on Monday night after a 16-year career and a protracted period spent attempting to recover from the latest in a series of concussions.

In an interview on ESPN SportsCenter, Bryan revealed that the after-effects of concussions were worse than he had ever previously let on.  He said he had suffered 10 concussions during his career but added that other concussions had not been documented.

“It’s hard to define concussion. The more information that comes out, the more awareness there is, we’re finding out more all the time so it would be impossible to say.”

Most shocking, though, was Bryan’s revelation that he had suffered, and hidden, seizures that came about as a result of his concussions.

Bryan explained that a medical examination in New York had found a “small, subacute lesion” in the temporoparietal region of his brain—where seizures and epilepsy are often localised.

“I have had post-concussion seizures that I have hidden,” Bryan said.

“There was no evidence to see why I would have these seizures, but then finally we found some.”