epilepsy awareness and emergency medication
1-day course giving delegates an understanding of epilepsy and how to administer emergency medication.
This course begins with the ‘epilepsy awareness and seizure management' session and continues with the theoretical and practical administration of emergency medications (buccal midazolam and/or rectal diazepam). It is designed to enable a greater understanding of risk assessment and associated health and safety issues.
The trainer demonstrates the practical procedures and delegates will have an opportunity to practice these skills in a simulated environment.
About the course
Session 1 - Epilepsy awareness and seizure management includes:
- an introduction to epilepsy
- causes and diagnosis
- types of seizures (including management and first aid)
- status epilepticus
- treatments – medication and side effects
- risk management and support needs
Session 2 - Emergency medication includes:
- an introduction to emergency medications for epilepsy
- when it should be used
- how it is administered
- individual care plans
- benefits of use
- side effects
- practical demonstration
- risk assessments
- storage and disposal
- duty of care
We can deliver this course at your organisation's venue. This course also runs at Epilepsy Society, Chesham Lane, Chalfont St Peter SL9 0RJ and at The Enterprise Hub, Prospect House 62, Tong Street, Bradford BD4 9LX.
Dates available at Epilepsy Society:
- Thursday 28 May 2020 - Cancelled
- Thursday 11 June 2020 - Cancelled
- Monday 29 June 2020 - tbc
- Thursday 30 July 2020 - tbc
- Thursday 13 August 2020 - tbc
Dates available at The Enterprise Hub:
- Please call us for availability
Book your place
Please call 01494 601 438 or email ES.Training@epilepsysociety.org.uk
Please refer to the terms and conditions of booking.