helpline 01494 601 400


If you drive, one immediate effect of having a seizure is that you have to stop driving. This is true for all types of seizures, and whether you have a diagnosis of epilepsy or not. For many people, this can have a big impact on their life and it may be very difficult or upsetting.

How the driving regulations apply to you will depend on the type of seizures you have now, the type of seizures you have had previously, and the type of licence you have (Group 1 or Group 2). Specific regulations also apply after an isolated seizure or first unprovoked seizure.

Driving and epilepsy - interactive guide

Driving and epilepsy - interactive guide

Use our interactive guide to find out how the driving regulations for people with epilepsy in the UK apply to you.

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) licenses cars and drivers for driving on public roads in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales). If you have a driving licence, by law it is your duty to tell the DVLA about any medical condition that may affect your ability to drive, including epilepsy. This is a condition of holding a driving licence. If you have a driving licence and have a seizure of any kind, in most cases you must stop driving.

You are responsible for telling the DVLA and returning your licence to them. The driving regulations cover all epileptic seizures: auras and warnings; seizures where you are conscious; myoclonic seizures; and seizures where you lose consciousness. These regulations apply even if you have only one seizure (an 'isolated seizure’), whether you have a diagnosis of epilepsy or not, and whether you are taking anti-epileptic drugs (AEDs) or not.

What the driving regulations mean for you

What the driving regulations mean for you

Answers to some of the questions that people with epilepsy may have about the practical application of the driving regulations.

Epileptic seizures are specifically included in the Road Traffic Act 1988. This means that if you have one or more seizures, by law you must meet certain medical standards in order to have a driving licence.

The DVLA’s ‘Assessing fitness to drive’ sets out the medical standards for driving, advised by expert medical panels, and based on UK and European legislation. Only the medical advisers at the DVLA are able to decide whether or not someone meets the standards to drive.

A ‘Customer service guide for drivers with a medical condition' leaflet is available from the GOV.UK website.

Medical standards of fitness to drive

Car insurance

If you stop driving due to a seizure, you need to tell your insurance company as part of your insurance terms and conditions.

Learning to drive

If you have epilepsy and want to learn to drive, you need to meet the medical standards for the type of seizures you have. You will need to tell the DVLA about your epilepsy and fill in a regular application form. The DVLA will send you a form (FEP1) for more details about your epilepsy.

If possible, the DVLA will decide whether you can have a driving licence, based on the information you provide in the forms. If they need more information, they may contact your doctor as part of this process.

The regulations are different if you have only:

awake seizures which do not affect your consciousness or ability to act in any situation
asleep seizures

Full driving regulations

Full driving regulations

An outline of the current driving regulations affecting people with epilepsy.

DVLA terminology

Awake seizures - seizures that start when you are awake.
Asleep seizures - seizures that happen as you are falling asleep, while you are asleep, or as you are waking up.
Anti-epilepsy drugs - medication for epilepsy, which we call AEDs or ('anti-epileptic drugs')
Permitted seizures - types of seizures where you can drive even if you are still having these seizures.
Isolated seizures - first and single unprovoked seizure in people with no history of seizures. Also includes more than one seizure if all of the seizures have occurred within a 24 hour period.